Read The Article
The Northern Territory's first bowling green was officially opened at the Alice Springs Memorial Club in 1958.
Back in 1958 more than 100 people attended the official opening of the club's first bowling green.
Press clippings of the day read: "The official opening was performed by Mr Spencer Butler, president of the South Australian Bowling Association Council." The cutting tells of how people flocked to attended the ceremony, and that the president of the new club, Mr Tony Greatorex paid tribute to those responsible for the clubs foundation. Volunteers worked long and hard to lay and develop the green. The original grass came from the banks of the Todd River.
The club committee at that time consisted of:
- Mr. A.W Greatorex (President)
- Mr. F.W. Heazlewood (Secretary)
- Messr. A.G. Jones
- Messr. J.C. Marriott
Others associated with the very early days of the club included Messrs R. McCaffery, M. Hocking, R. Gallagher and George Holden. From those humble beginnings the club has progressed to its current large membership and fine greens of today. We are confident the next 25 years will see nothing but further improvement.